Skip to main content

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best. 

That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love.

Early Sunday morning we loaded up in the car and drove two hours to Jola's parents house. It was in a very small farm town. Once again I was surrounded by polish! I felt okay though, people were trying to talk to me and help me understand. We were celebrating Jola's nephew's tenth birthday, so there was cake and lots of food. I also got to hunt for mushrooms in the field, normally people scavenge (??) for mushrooms in the forest but we didn't have a forest so we went in her parent's back field instead. 

All in all it had been a great day. I got to meet a lot of my host family's family, everyone had been so welcoming and kind. The car ride home gave me some time to think though, and of course I started to think about my family. This was okay, I've been keeping in touch so I wasn't too sad but then a thought popped into my head. I hadn't hugged anyone or been hugged in a couple weeks. I love hugs and was a little bummed out. When we got home I remembered that my fantastic friend Kenzie had made me the sweetest 'Open when' cards. If you haven't heard of these, they are cards that can be anything from 'Open when it's your birthday' to 'Open when you have a hard day' A couple of the cards that Kenzie gave me came with an extra special surprise. Canadian hot chocolate! I immediately made a cup and put on some great music (suggested by Kenzie!) it made my day ten times better! So a big thank you to Kenzie and big hugs to all of you!! XOXO

Comments

  1. Big bear hug to you Hannah!! XXOO Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!! Also happy late Anniversary!! XXOO

      Delete
  2. Love your description of what sounded like a beautiful day with your host family! I send you ten thousand hugs my love! I bet if you give a hug, you may get one back! Love you to the moon and back, forever and always! xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic day! I'll send hugs right back to you mama :) Love you xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hugs to you from Victoria! I love hugs too !! 😘😘😘😘🚢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I send lots of hugs to all of you too!!!

      Delete
    2. Merry Christmas, Hannah!! Thinking of you today. You must be having a fascinating experience with lots of special traditions there.
      I imagine you're probably having a lot better time making sense of it all than you would have been able to weeks ago! Looking forward to hearing your news.
      Uncle Geoff. (the first comment above is one that Auntie Tricia made using my account in case you're wondering 😊)

      Delete
  4. Since we are on a hug-fest, You get a big hug! And, you get a big hug! And, you get a big hug! (Said in Oprah's voice). So many fun activities at your home away from home. Pierogis!!!! I love those things.
    πŸ’πŸ¦„ I couldn't find a hug emoji, but monkeys and unicorns just may be the next best thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have been having lots of fun! The pierogis were awesome, I'll be sure to bring home a recipe for us to try. I love the emojis! We should try to make a hug emoji, I would use it all the time :)

      Delete
  5. Oh sweet Hannah-Belle - you are SO welcome! I'm glad the hot cocoa brought you some comfort! I am so in awe of your bravery! Sending you four big hugs from Montreal! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot chocolate is always the answer! And thank you for all the hugs! I send some right back to you :)

      Delete
  6. Here is an idea you can try: Close your eyes and remember the hugs from home. Call it up in your imagination and remember it through your senses. Remember what you saw through your eyes when you hugged one of your best hugs, the smell, the way it felt, any sounds... Just focus on that for awhile and your body will be able to feel it again to whatever degree it is available to you in that moment. Depending on the day, you may get a more vivid sense of it some times more than others so keep trying. The hugs are still with you, just conjure them up through your visceral memory!
    And to whatever degree you can feel the hugs coming across the ocean, we are sending them daily. Keep taking good care of you Hannah-belle. We are keeping you close in heart and mind. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Shawna! I will definitely be trying this :) I've got all of you in my mind and heart everyday too. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Well Hannah more hugs coming your way. You are indeed very brave.As Shawna said I can conjure up mu Dad and Mom's hugs even now. Your mind is an amazing tool. Coose to be positive. Love you bushels full. Nana & Bapa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  BartΔ…g, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included