Skip to main content

A Crazy Week

School
I have completed my first week of school! It wasn't a full week because Monday I only had an assembly, but I met some girls in my class and they took Olivia and I to a popular cafe in Olsztyn called Green Way. They were very sweet. Two of the girls spoke English very well and they were very welcoming, it was a great start to the week. 

The first day of classes was draining, my mind was so confused! Everyone spoke polish and they spoke so fast. The girls that had brought us into the city sat with us and introduced us to teachers but I felt pretty helpless. The colors and numbers I learned in the language camp were not helping me understand the romanticist period of polish literature! The first day was so overwhelming and I must admit I did a lot of day dreaming. 

The next day I went to school ready to learn! I wasn't sure what but I wanted to make progress. I wrote down all the polish I could, planning to translate it later. Of course it takes hours to type all the crazy words into google translate and then it just comes out a scrambled mess! I felt a little defeated having not understood anything still. 

Thursday I decided that I would try for ten words a day. This was more manageable, Olivia and I would compare the words we picked and then look and listen for the words in the classes. It was still frustrating because I didn't really understand anything but I had added a couple new words to my vocabulary. 

Friday Olivia wasn't in school and it was lonely. I was shocked to find that no body approached Olivia or I in school. At Harwood exchange students are interesting and everyone wants to meet them and talk to them. Here we are ignored for the most part. I'm still figuring out how to start a conversation in between classes when everyone is already in their 'group' of friends. Interestingly enough gym was my favorite class this week. 

I normally dread gym, but I realized that it gave me a chance to be in my class without having the structure that our core classes enforced. Even though I could not understand the other girls and they could not understand me, we shared the dislike for gym class. I shared more smiles and acknowledgement with them in that last class on Friday than I had all week. 

My Favorite Parts of the Week
My host brother Sebastian (Sebak for short) is a runner! I was so happy to hear this, he goes to training three times a week and this week I went with him! The trainer only speaks polish but it's so fun. There's a great energy in the group and I already feel included! 

This week I also got to see some more of Olsztyn with one of Dominik's friends Kuba. I met him after school one day and he showed me some of the bridges and lakes in the city. We also went to the main beach in Olsztyn, it was a rainy day but it was still nice to talk to someone and se more of where I'm living this year. 



Thursday I met with my Rotary counselor and introduced myself to the Rotary club that is hosting me. It was a short meeting but everyone was very welcoming! I also met a couple students who are doing or have done another exchange program for college students. It's a short term exchange where the students intern at different companies. 


One more exciting thing this week...I am now officially a Canadian!!! I am so happy that I can say that :)  





Comments

  1. Sounds like a tough week, with. verry normal ups and downs for such a new place. Glad running and gym helped to overcome some obstacles. Your cafe visit sure grabbed my attention...I love coffee :) Thanks for sharing your experience with your Canadian squad, eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a challenging week, I expected the challenge but it's still not something I was totally prepared for. I love coffee too and I am so excited to find all the best cafes! I will be sure to keep you posted :) I thought there might be some people who would be happy to hear that news!

      Delete
  2. Another great blog entry Hannah. Sounds like you are keeping positive. I saw Miss Morse in church today and was showing her my mudlove bracelet. She loved it and plans to get some as Christmas gifts. Do you go to school in Olsztyn? How do you get there. So glad you've been running with Sebak. It will be a good outlet for you....I always feel a good walk clears my head and helps me keep trials and tribulations in the right perspective. I'm happy about your "Canadian-ness" too EH? N & B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best to focus on all the positives right now! Though I am missing all my hugs from home. I am so glad that you are enjoying and sharing the (mud) love! Kenzie will be happy to hear that this awesome company has made an impression on some Vermonters!

      I do go to school in Olsztyn, this week I found that even though it should be a 15 minute ride to school, it can take up to an hour with the morning traffic! I will be taking the tram to and from school, which should be a little faster. Running is a great outlet for me and I am looking forward to this weeks training!

      xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  BartÄ…g, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I