Skip to main content

Language Camp

My first week in Poland I was in a language camp organized by Rotary, it was a nine day camp for the 60 inbound students living in Poland this year.

DAY 1:
 The first day was just a check in day so we didn't have many planned activities. Olivia (the other exchange student going to my school) and I were the first ones there and we were able to get to know each other a little better while we waited for the other students. I learned that she was from Pennsylvania, she hoped to learn Russian in school here, and she was just as nervous as I was about all the unknowns. 

Later in the day once everyone had checked in and eaten dinner (served at 2-3:00 in the afternoon) we had a chance to get to know each other. When Rotary sponsors students for exchange there are a couple 'traditions' the students follow, all Rotary students get a blazer and they have to make or buy pins that have some connection to their home country (or state or province) to share and trade with other Rotary students. We spent the afternoon trading pins and listening to hispanic music! There were students from the US, Canada, Brazil, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Argentina, and Mexico (hence the hispanic music). 

That evening we had Integration where we played games and were quizzed about some of the history of Poland. 

DAY 2:
 Thursday we had five polish language classes, it was an exhausting day! We started with some basics; 'My name is..' 'Where is the bathroom?' 'Nice to meet you.' 'What is your name?' Some of these I already knew so I wasn't too overwhelmed, but when we were introduced to the grammar it got a little more confusing. One student said that he felt like he was two years old again, and he was right. We were being taught how to count to ten again and it felt like a challenge. All our brains were fried after five classes. We had fun going to the store to stock up on sugar that evening though!

DAY 3:
We only had three language classes Friday, we were taught the colors and some bigger numbers. In the afternoon we went into the city of Bydgoszcz for a scavenger hunt! In groups of twenty we had to answer a dozen questions about different buildings and monuments in the city. Our scavenger hunt ended in the main square of Bydgoszcz, where we got ice cream (lody)! 
After supper we had Integration again, and then that we had a dance party! There was lots of dancing all week, it was a great way for us all to get to know each other.

DAY 4:
Half way through the week we continued with our lessons, learning the names of clothing items and more grammar rules.  We got to see more of the city and we walked to a beautiful park in Bydgoszcz.

DAY 5:
We spent the. day at the Malbork Castle on Sunday. That morning it was cold and rainy but two hours away at the castle the sun was shining and we had a beautiful day for a tour. The castle was not what I expected it to be, it was made of brick (the biggest brick castle in Europe I think) and you could see the parts that had been rebuilt. I really liked that you could see the original brick next to the newer part. A lot of buildings in Bydgoszcz were like that. It gave the city a very unique look! 

DAY 6:
We had more polish classes, learning more vocabulary and reviewing what we had been working on. We also had some 'electives'! We got a taste of the history of Poland, which I had some knowledge about but it was really interesting to go deeper into it (very sad though). We also had some PE classes where we learned a game called Palant, similar to baseball. My favorite was the music class. The teacher we had was a young man who had preformed on The Voice (Polish version), we would slowly read through the polish lyrics and then just sing! Here is the link of our teacher's audition!

DAY 7:
Tuesday we had more polish and more 'electives', we were preparing for a test that we had the next day. At the end of the camp they test students so that they know which classes to put us in and so that they rotary clubs can see how the camp helps. We also visited a nearby museum and we got to see the inside of a tank! 

DAY 8:
After two more classes for review we took the test and then we had the rest of the afternoon to ourselves. That evening there was a grill for us all to say goodbye (for now) and spend the night together. Over the week I met a lot of great people and we are looking forward to seeing each other in the next week or two! 

DAY 9:
Olivia and I left Thursday morning and took the train back to Olsztyn. I was sad to leave the group but I was looking forward to getting a chance to spend more time with my family and see the city more. 



Comments

  1. Sounds like a busy week. Learning a new language is exhausting for sure. Your descriptions took me back to Peru and learning Spanish (at least trying)! Is Olivia going to be in the same high school as you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very busy! I enjoyed being home this week. Olivia and I do go to the same school and we are in the same class! It's nice to have a friendly face there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You experienced a lifetime in just 9 days! Thanks for narrating your story and allowing us to feel like we are there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it felt like too! I lifetime in just nine days. I'm glad to have you all following my adventures!

      Delete
  4. Hi Hannah! I just started reading your blog for the first time, from the first day you wrote until now ~ What an interesting experience. I can imagine how you must be feeling - and how you feel to be listening to everyone speak so quickly and not knowing what they're saying, or how to respond. I wonder if they greet one another with a "Hi"? in Polish. I imagine that's one of the 10 words you figured out right away. I love how you discovered how you fit in with running. And you made them a batch of chocolate chip cookies already. Good for you. And you gave yourself a goal to learn 10 words a day! Olystyn is a whole new experience. I enjoy your journal & the photos. Morning traffic makes me wonder how big Olystyn is. I love the Rotary photo, - looks like you are an award winner in the Olympics, Hannah. Congratulations on becoming Canadian! You are now a Canadian in Poland, before being a Canadian in America. Carry on with good courage, Hannah. I am happy to hear how you are doing. I'm glad you are running & I think you will surprise the heck out of them, with your fun runs, eh?!!! ~ sherry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  BartÄ…g, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included