Skip to main content

Since I Last Posted

The last week and a bit have seemed to escape me, things are moving fast here! 

Last weekend I had a Rotary meeting in Torun, Poland, a city about three hours away from Olsztyn. It was great to see all the kids from the language camp again, everyone in that group is so kind and welcoming. We always have a lot of fun together! The day we arrived we went on a sightseeing tour around the city, if I'm being honest we all spent more time catching up with each other than listening to our tour guide, but it was great to see the city. 

The side streets of Torun!

We also got a chance to make Piernik (Ginger bread!) that the city is famous for. We made batter as a group but it takes a long time for that to be ready to use so we used pre-made dough for our souvenirs. I say souvenirs because they aren't for eating, once they come out of the oven and cool they harden. 

The following day we got to go on a short cruise on the Vistula river, it was a beautiful night for it! The group also had a lot of energy from the ice cream we were able to enjoy earlier that day :) The weekend went by too quickly, I already miss all the other exchange students!

As you know I have been running here. Today I got to go to my first race! It was a challenge for me because I am used to running five kilometer races on a very different terrain, today the race was just one kilometer. I may seem like that should be easier, but I haven't run a race that distance before and it was really hard to pace. There were only about 20 girls in my age group and I ended up coming in 12th. It felt so good to be running and the atmosphere of the meet was similar to the meets at home, I was very happy to be a part of it! 

School has still been a challenge, the kids are polite but not as open as I was hoping they might be at this point. Olivia and I mostly try to work on our polish but it is a very difficult language to learn, especially in an environment where you can not say the words and listen to the sounds. Next week we will be starting our language classes, I am looking forward to beginning this process. 

The highlight of the last week and a bit was meeting Domi! Kuba introduced me to her early last week. She is so sweet and so kind and was so excited to meet me, it made my whole week! This week we went to Old Town and got ice cream, it was so fun! She loves to speak English which is great but what is even more exciting is that she really wants to teach me polish :) Neither of us really knew where to start so we would just point at things and I would say the English name (which she knew) and she would tell me the polish name. Unfortunately my memory is not great so we've had to repeat all the same things but it's a lot of fun to talk to her! It's not exhausting like school is, we both were a little shy at first but we were very excited to meet each other! I'm bummed because she doesn't go to my school but I hope to see her after school and on the weekends when we can. 

I'm missing everyone at home and I send lots of love your way! I've heard that all the color is coming out in Vermont, it's not quite out here but the view from my house is beautiful without it so far! 




  

Comments

  1. I would eat the Piernik anyway. Gingerbread is too good to be a souvenir :)
    Glad to hear you are racing, that's fun. Remember....You finished first among all the Vermonters in Poland! But seriously, it must be tough to adjust to the 1K distance (as if I would know. The only running I do, is to Ben & Jerry's. LOL).
    Keep us posted on the latest language camp. I may have some resources to help convert English to Polish and back, on the fly.
    Powodzenia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Love your posts!!! I have tried several times to post responses from my phone and when I submit they disappear...? I am trying from home on the laptop to see if it is any different. Glad you were able to find running and also some great friends along the way...love all the pics keep them coming ! Love and Hugs x alot! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, research says that it takes up to 20-30 exposures to learn a new vocabulary word, so I am only assuming this is the same for languages! Keep up the work. It is exhausting. I told you the story about when we first landed in NY after being in Peru for 3 months. We heard english on the loud speaker and Eli turned to me and said, "Thank god, I can understand them!" Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're able to keep doing some of the things you love from home, baking and running, while also experiencing so many new things. I love the pictures, as the architecture is so prettty. Your language will come along. I know it seems like you've been there quite awhile already, but it's just barely October! It took you years to speak English ;) I hope you've received our postcards. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your photos Hannah, they are stunning! So glad you met a friend to giggle with - speaking of which - I miss your giggle! Can't wait to hear it again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  Bartąg, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included