Skip to main content

Birthday Week


The past week or so felt a little bit like driving on the good ol' Vermont roads, bumpy with a lot of ups and downs! 

At the beginning of the week Olivia and I decided it was time to join the gym. I had tried out a couple in the city and we found a really great one that was just a couple minutes from our school. It has been really nice to go after school when I don't have running, it gives me an extra boost! 

Last Wednesday was my birthday and I would like to thank all of you for all the warm wishes! I was thinking of all of you :) The day started out pretty good, in my first class the students sang happy birthday to me and they also gave me chocolate! The rest of the school day was pretty normal but I was excited and happy that it was my birthday. After school I went home like normal and just kind of hung out. I was still having a pretty good day but part of me was starting to think that my host family didn't know that it was my birthday. Finally after we had eaten and the three of them still hadn't said happy birthday that they didn't know. I was definitely bummed but it had still been a pretty good day. Around 7:30 my host mom called me down stairs. I came down to find some of our neighbors and Olivia with her host family! There was cake and Olivia had flower from me from on of the other exchange student who was in a different city! It was so sweet, we did cake and presents and then the kids went down to the basement to play ping pong. We also played a game of Monopoly. It was a really fantastic birthday and it was my first surprise party! 


Friday night Olivia and I went out with one of her friends and some other people that he invited. We went into Old town and got some food and we ended up going to a karaoke bar! It was so fun to meet more people and it was my first time singing karaoke :) Olivia’s friend Maciek was so nice! And he loves Canada!! We had fun talking about hockey and all the places I have been. He told me about his plans to live in Canada with his girlfriend for a couple years after they graduate. We are planning a hockey night sometimes soon!

Last Sunday my host family and I went to Mareks’ mothers to celebrate her Name day. Everybody has a name day, they are more popularly celebrated by the older generation. The day represents the feast day of a Catholic saint. It was a really fun day, celebrated much like a birthday. There was lots of cake and I got to meet more of the family. 


This week hasn’t been very eventful but I’ve been going to the gym and running and working on all the polish I can! The polish classes have been going really well, we’re learning new vocabulary and the (many) rules that polish has. I have been able to practice speaking more and remember what the different words sound like. 

As I am getting busier it's been harder to post but I will continue to keep all of you posted! 

Comments

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH! I'm so happy they surprised you! And what a great surprise party! xxx ~ sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! It was a great birthday :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  Bartąg, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included