Skip to main content

The Holiday Season

This holiday season was a new experience for me. As much as I love the season, it was a little bittersweet this year. I was missing family and our traditions, it felt weird to not decorate the tree with my parents and Cameron. We also did not have snow here so it felt like something was missing, in fact, the day before Christmas I woke up to the sound of rain on the roof! Crazy stuff!






I really enjoyed celebrating with my class at school, we did a secret Santa of sorts and then everyone brought in food and we had a 'Christmas Eve' dinner all together. My secret Santa gave me some cozy socks, chocolate, and lotion, she also wrote some sweet little notes on them for me :)

The 24th I went with my host family to their parents' houses (about an hour away) for more festivities. That evening we had our big, traditional meal, featuring all things mushroom and cabbage!  It is tradition to have 12 dishes on the table for Christmas eve (none with meat!), we had about nine dishes because there weren't enough of us to eat that much. After dinner (when the first star came out) we exchanged gifts. It was odd for me to open gifts on the 24th!



Another tradition they have is that before the meal, a thin wafer called opłatek is distributed and you offer some of this wafer along with a wish or hope to everyone at the table. This was one of my favorite traditions, it made things feel a little warmer and Christmas-y! Some families also put straw under the dishes to signify the place that Jesus was born. Christian families also attend a midnight mass on the 24th, we were planning to but people were tired from the activities of the day so we decided to go on Christmas day.  

More Celebrations

Just a few days before Christmas, we celebrated Olivia's 18th birthday! Her host family had us over for cake and presents to help her celebrate :) Weronika (Olivia's host sister) made a delicious chocolate cake and Pawel (Olivia's host dad) made a version of Baked Alaska, it was a decadent evening!


New Years Eve Olivia and I had a girls night in! We decided that because Olivia was getting over being sick it would be nice to just hang out at home :) We made a hair mask and did face masks too. At midnight we could see the fireworks from the window, we had the perfect view! It was so strange to see the New year come and know that all of you still had six or more hours to wait before you watched the ball drop. It was a new perspective for me.

I am now counting down the days until my host family and I go to Italy for our ski week! (11 days!!!) I will keep you posted on how my New Year is going and hope you all do too :) 



Comments

  1. We missed you terribly Hannah! So cool that you are experiencing new traditions - maybe you will bring some of them home with you and we can adopt them here. I hope the skiing in Italy is amazing. As much as we have had more snow to ski on this year, it has been bitterly cold! So I wish you snow & temperate weather! Sending lots of love from us to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  Bartąg, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included