Skip to main content

The Alps

Italy

After the quick stop in Prague, we climbed back in the car and headed for Italy! It was another long car ride, but we got a nice view. Most of the way we were driving through the mountains in Germany, Austria and Italy. Coming from the Green Mountain State, I've seen my fair share of mountains but I was in awe with the size of the alps.


Seeing how large the Alps were, I was nervous about the difficulty of the trails. I thought I might have forgotten how to ski! Of course, as soon as I popped into my skis, my ski legs were ready! 

We stayed in a small ski town called Pellizzano. There were a handful of different ski areas surrounding us. Every day we went to a different area, the first day we went to one of the more family friendly ones. We got a late start, but stated on the mountain until 4:00. Marek, Sebak, and I skied together while Jola went with her sister and nephew.



The rest of the week we explored the other hills, awed by the size and beauty of them, my host brother and I cruised down the trails. It was hard for me to not dip into the woods to get the untouched powder, but because of my insurance I couldn't. I some good turns in though!

Austria 

Sunday we packed up the car and headed, me to Austria and the rest of my family back to Olsztyn. It was a much shorter drive for me and we were still in the mountains so the time flew. We had to wait for the rest of the Rotary group, so we got dinner and looked around the little town while we waited. I was not as close to the ski hill, but there was still a nice view from the hotel. 


Finally the bus pulled into the hotel! The 50 exchange students rushed off the bus (after a two day trip!) It was so fun to see some of my people, I ended up rooming with (fellow Canadian) Fiona. We made the wonderful discovery of BEN AND JERRY'S ICE CREAM!!!!!!! I had not had it since coming to Poland, and boy was I glad :)

My ski legs were ready to hit the slopes after a week of warming up. We had to start slow because they were still putting us into the right groups, but after the first day, we were cruising! It was a lot of fun to see the other kids ski, there were a handful of us that had experience skiing and we stayed together just kind of skiing where we wanted. 




On our last full day at the mountain, we had a slalom race, something I've never done! Unfortunately the visibility was not great, we went ahead with it anyway and it was so fun! I was very exited to get one of my luckiest numbers as my bib...


I had a fabulous two weeks in the Alps, we had beautiful weather the whole time and I got to spend it with fabulous people! I do miss going to the mountain every weekend but it was an amazing experience, I feel so lucky to have been in such an amazing place! 





Comments

  1. It is soooo fun to hear ur descriptions, and even cooler to see the pictures that go with them.
    Wow, you found Ben & Jerry's! What a nice treat. See if u can find a poutine (or something like it) for ur Canadian readers.
    Do u get to keep ur #19 bib? I hope u can.
    Keep on enjoying and experiencing Europe. U r making amazing memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very excited about the Ben and Jerry's! Oh, and the Alps too! Yes I'll see what I can find :) I was hoping I'd be able to keep it but they collected them at the bottom of the hill :/

      Delete
  2. Wow! All I can say is WOW! The pictures look breathtaking and I'm sure it was way better in person! I'm so happy for you Hannah! And thank you for posting and sharing your adventure with us. Just extraordinary!
    Oh, my girls taught me the expression "extra". Hannah you is EXTRA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said WOW a lot! It was an incredible place :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Day 1

Two Mondays' ago, after double and triple checking that I had everything, I said goodbye to my sweet puppy and loaded all my bags into the car. We picked up cider doughnuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill and drove up to Montreal. My parents took me out to Moe's and we got famous smoked meat sandwiches! I was hoping to post this in the airport but I didn't get a chance. I flew through Amsterdam airport and got to (briefly) meet one of my host brothers! Dominik flew out of Warsaw airport Tuesday morning so our flights coincidentally lined up.  I only had two hours left till I got to Warsaw. When I landed I easily found my host family, they had made a big sign with my name on it!  From Warsaw it was a three hour drive back to  BartÄ…g, I was only at my host family's house for one night. Wednesday morning I got on train for my nine day language camp. I took the train to Bydgoszcz with another exchange student  who  is staying in Olsztyn. This camp included