Skip to main content

The Latest

The Latest 

A couple weekends ago I had my last Rotary meeting, it was about six hours away in a small town called Spala (the l sounds like a w). Olivia and I got a train from Olsztyn to Warsaw and rode a bus to the meeting from there. It felt like it had been forever since I’d last seen everyone (it had only been a month!) but it was so fun to give everyone hugs and talk about how close we were to going home. 

This Rotary meeting we had lots of free time. Usually Rotary packs our time with sightseeing and silly activities, but this weekend we go to spend time with each other and try today goodbye. It was a bittersweet weekend, I am so ready to come home and see everyone and get back into a routine, but these people have been like a family to me this year. Even though we only met nine months ago and have only seen each other a handful of times, we are so close. I remember how scary it was to be at the first meeting, all these teenagers speaking all different languages it seemed like I was in over my head. Everyone was so welcoming and warm, it was easy to get close to each other. It was different making friends with the other exchange students. We were all a little scared and alone in this new country, because of this it was easy to bond and just jump into one big friendship. 
Of course as the year went on we got closer to certain people, but we’re still a family. 


I was really excited to hear that two of my good friends would be going to college close to me! One is going to be just outside of Montreal and the other is in New Jersey, and of course Olivia is from Pennsylvania so I'm hoping that I'll be able to see them when I get home! It was harder to accept that my friends from Australia or Taiwan or South Korea would be harder to reach. We did a lot of hugging and crying over the weekend but was also danced and sang and had a good time all together ♥ 





 I know I put way too many photos but I couldn't pick just a few! All these beautiful people have had such a positive impact on my life and I am so grateful to have met them all. 

think one of the great things about Rotary is that it gives young people this amazing opportunity to meet people from all over the world. All with different opinions and different backgrounds. I think that, like every organization out there, it has things to be worked on, but the big picture of it is so wonderful. Even if I wasn't best friends with everyone in this group of incredible student, I know I have a home wherever they are and of course they do wherever I am. 

Now, with less than a month until I am home, I have had a lot of time to do some reflecting on my year here. I am so glad that I did this exchange, it hasn't always been what I expected, and it has been frustrating or difficult at times, but I would never take it back. I learned a lot about myself and about a culture that is so different. I also made so many great friends, maybe not the friends I thought I would make, but I'm so happy they're the ones I did make :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An extra post!

Saturday I spent the day with my host mom. We brought Mika (my host puppy) to the vet, went to the grocery store, and the car wash! It wasn't an overly exciting morning but it was fun. It was also a good challenge for my host mom and I, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much polish! When we got back from the store I made chocolate chip cookies while Jola started making Pierogis!! I was very excited to finally try them. We had both boiled and fried, some with cheese and some with fruit. The fried ones were my favorite and I liked the fruit filled ones best.  That afternoon we shuffled around some things in the garage and found a bike that (mostly) fit me. We went on a 10k bike ride! I was really wishing I had brought my phone so I could've captured it, and shared with you. It was so beautiful out, I could smell the Fall. I know that's cheesy but it's one of my favorite times of the year. The air has a different feel that I really love. Ear

Party In Poland! And more!

Friday night I went to my first polish party! Jan brought Olivia and I to his friends 18th birthday. I was a little nervous at first. I didn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure what it would be like but people were very friendly! People seemed more interested than they normally are at school, it was refreshing to meet so many new people. The beginning of the night was a little awkward but then more people came and we started dancing! It was so hear some new polish music (!!) and see everyones dance moves. I think people are a lot less shy about dancing here. In the states kinds just kind of sway awkwardly, here there is a lot more movement!  This past weekend I was able to go with Olivia and her host parents to Lidzbark Warminski. Our first stop was the castle. If I'm being honest I wasn't as excited about seeing the castle, the castles here are very similar, and while amazing, we usually just take a tour of the main points with a guide. When we arrived I

Since I Last Posted

The last week and a bit have seemed to escape me, things are moving fast here!  Last weekend I had a Rotary meeting in Torun, Poland, a city about three hours away from Olsztyn. It was great to see all the kids from the language camp again, everyone in that group is so kind and welcoming. We always have a lot of fun together! The day we arrived we went on a sightseeing tour around the city, if I'm being honest we all spent more time catching up with each other than listening to our tour guide, but it was great to see the city.  The side streets of Torun! We also got a chance to make Piernik (Ginger bread!) that the city is famous for. We made batter as a group but it takes a long time for that to be ready to use so we used pre-made dough for our souvenirs. I say souvenirs because they aren't for eating, once they come out of the oven and cool they harden.  The following day we got to go on a short cruise on the Vistula river, it was a beautiful night for it